Two weeks ago, we started getting lots of calls from our clients reporting an inability to install or update any MSI-based software; they would receive one of these errors:
“The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.”
“Error 1719:Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.”
We tried msiexec /unregister and /register, and we tried uninstalling recently installed Windows Updates which worked only sometimes.
We resorted to opening a case with Microsoft but before they made any progress our tech, Mark Novak, found a solution that works 100% of the time: ‘sfc.exe /scannow’. I don’t think that this command has ever fixed anything for us before but now it’s my best friend.
Hope this helps you, too!